Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Bye Now"

So I know that I am a little late on this post- in comparison to my other relatives (over-achievers), but late is better than never. Especially when it comes to John R. Wednesday was my Grandpa Atwood's birthday! My Grandpa is an amazing person. I don't think I have ever heard him say anything negative about anyone. I wish I had that trait. He has the best sense of humor. I know that with John Atwood comes laughter, and we love it. The pictures and commentary below were supplied by my Dad. You can tell from reading his words how much he loves the time he spends with Grandpa. We love you Grandpa and hope you had a great birthday!

I took this picture of Grandpa in October 1980 the year I was married. He loved to fish the Green River. We started fishing there in 1963 when I was 8 years old. He had to work in Vernal, Utah a lot and in the summer he would take me, after he finished working he would drive over the mountains from Vernal and we would fish until almost dark, then we would drive home and he would always stop and buy us hamburgers and shakes. He is the best fisherman I have fished with, he learned how when he was a little boy in Charleston, Utah. Every day after thinning beets in the fields he would grab his pole and head for the Upper Provo River than ran near his house. He would fish until dark and take his catch home so his Mother could cook them up on the wood burning stove. I loved those days traveling with my Dad, I even liked listening to his weird music as he would sing along. He would grab my knee and ask me questions
about sports, fishing, camping and what kind of flowers were growing along side the road. I could always tell when we were leaving for Vernal because the night before he would say, " Mark you better water the garden so you can catch some night crawlers tonight, we will be fishing the Green River tomorrow afternoon." WHAT GREAT MEMORIES! Sorry so long but I thought you might like a little history of our trips to the unforgettable, memorable "GREEN RIVER"

Here are two pictures of Grandpa that I scanned from his high school year book:






I took this picture of Grandpa as he was looking out his window at his garden, I thought it turned out great! What do you think? Notice his hat, it has a B-25 airplane on it, the one he flew in the war. There is a pin of his bomb squadron. I think he is the worlds most optimistic person, he loves life everyday and thinks it is great living this life. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.





4 comments:

Emily Call said...

Grandpa is the greatest! Yay! Love these pictures.

Lisa said...

Simply the best....better than all the rest!
Love the post:)

Karli said...

I love love these pictures!!

Becca said...

Aw, Marcie--you're making me cry. My grandpa took me fishing every time he came up to visit.

What a handsome football player!